Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Yummy!

I made a double batch of these a while back for Kevin to take to work. He had promised a batch of cinnamon rolls to his students so I had to follow thru! :) It was kind of sad for the kids to wake up to the smell of these and not be able to have a single bite. Guess I am kind of mean like that!



Cinnamon Rolls

4-1/2 to 5 cups flour
1 pkg. yeast
1 cup milk
1/3 c. margarine
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs

Filling:
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. margarine

In a large mixer bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour and yeast.

In a small saucepan, heat milk, 1/3 c. margarine, 1/3 c. sugar and salt just until warm (120 to 130) and margarine is almost melted, stirring constantly (I usually microwave this). Add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Beat with electric mixer on low for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining 2-1/4 cups to 2-3/4 cups flour as you can.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead in enough flour to make moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into ball. Place in greased bowl, turning once. Cover; let rise in warm place until double (about 1 hour).

For filling, combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and 1 tbsp. cinnamon. Cut in 1/2 cup margarine until crumbly; set aside.

Punch dough down. Turn onto lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Roll dough into 12-inch square.

Spread filling on dough. Roll up. Slice into 12 pieces and place in greased 9x13 pan. Cover dough loosely with clear plastic wrap, and put in refrigerator for up to 24 hours. To bake, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. To bake immediately, let rise 45 minutes and bake.

Bake at 375 25 to 30 minutes. Watch closely during last 5 minutes so they don't get too done. I usually cook them 25 minutes at the most.

Powdered sugar glaze for frosting. (I actually found a recipe for Cinnabon cream cheese frosting so I made that)These freeze well, too, after shaped but before being baked. (this recipe is thanks to my friend Patty)

~~~Kathy~~~~~

1 comment:

Dean and Mary said...

I can almost smell those. YUMMY!! Nothing like homemade cinnamon rolls.

Followers